Raymond E. Frost & Associates Raymond E. Frost & Associates

Free Initial Consultation: 1(510) 617-0298
1(209) 734-6972

What happens after you're hurt on the job in California

California Labor Code Section 3700 requires all employers to take out workers' compensation coverage. It doesn't matter if a company has a single worker or multiple ones either. Individuals who own and run a business as a sole proprietor should even take out this type of insurance. This coverage covers most workers who may become ill or injured while on the job.

The employees that are covered by workers' compensation coverage are described in California Labor Code Section 3351. Benefits are generally extended to any individuals classified as employees whether they're part-time or full-time ones. Independent contractors may be exempt from such coverage.

California employers aren't only required to purchase workers' compensation coverage to cover their employees in case they get hurt, but they're also required to put up a "notice to employees" poster in an area where all employees can see it. This sign should serve as proof that their employer has a valid workers' compensation policy in place. It should also let you as an employee know where to seek out treatment if you're not well.

You should immediately report your injury or illness to your Fremont or Tracy employer right after its onset. They should have you complete a workers' compensation claim form. They're supposed to complete it with any pertinent details and return it to you the next business day. You'll be authorized to receive up to $10,000 in medical treatment once your employer does this. Your supervisors should place you on light duty until you've been checked out and released by the treating physician.

Your employer can ask you to return to work while you are recovering provided that your doctor has released you to do so. Your supervisors may be required to tailor your workload and to provide special accommodations necessary if this happens. Your employer is prohibited by law from ordering you to work if your physician hasn't given their consent for you to do so though.

While many employers follow the law and maintain workers' compensation coverage to help cover the costs of your employees' medical care if they're hurt or become ill on the job, many take their chances and don't secure this insurance. Some may purchase this coverage yet deny their employees access to it. No matter what your situation is, an attorney can help you get the compensation that you deserve!

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Fremont Office
39510 Paseo Parkway
Suite 300
Fremont, CA 94538

Phone: 510-617-0298
Fax: 1-510-792-6429
Fremont Law Office Map

Tracy Office
672 West 11th Street
Suite 218
Tracy, CA 95376

Phone: 209-734-6972
Fax: 1-510-792-6429
Map & Directions